Heat Transfer Rolls
Roll Technology supplies high-performance heat transfer rolls (also known as chill rolls or cooling rolls), for industrial applications. We offer turnkey management of your heat transfer roll purchase — from your initial call through the delivery of the finished roll to your facility.
Our experienced team will work with your engineers and drawings to ensure that your heat transfer roll meets your exact specifications and performance requirements. Over the past 45 years, we have earned a reputation worldwide for the quality of our finished rolls, supported by superior customer service.
What are Heat Transfer Rolls?
Heat transfer rolls are used in web applications that require uniform temperature control during processing. Used in a wide range of converting processes, including steel coil coating, paper processing, plastic sheet manufacturing, adhesive coating, engineered film — to name but a few applications. Heat transfer rolls can be engineered to control the temperature across the roll face to within +/- 1°F.
Heat Transfer & Chill Roll Design
Heat transfer rolls provide temperature control by circulating heated or cooled fluid through coils under the outer shell of the roll. The fluid cools or heats the roll surface to the desired temperature for the application. The design of the roll and the configuration of the spirals are critical to optimizing the performance of the roll.
Performance Factors for Heat Transfer / Chill Rollers
- Optimization of the internal fluid path through the size and spacing of the spirals provides efficient, accurate temperature control
- Use of the appropriate materials and structure for the roll manages the body deflection and journal stress during operation, allowing for optimal performance and extending the useful life of the roll. Finite Element Analysis (FAE) strength tests and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) thermal models are used to determine the best size and shape of the roll and the best material to use.
- Selection of a finish appropriate for your application. The available finishes offer different levels of smoothness (or roughness) and are critical to efficient processing and the quality of the finished product.
- Mono-flow or dual flow design. In mono flow designs, the fluid enters the roll on one end and exits on the other end. It is then cycled back through storage tanks. Dual flow designs provide the entry and exit piping on the same side of the roll, saving space and minimizing piping.
Custom Heat Transfer Roll Manufacturing
- Custom manufactured original and replacement rolls working with your drawings or reverse engineering existing rolls. We use a detailed spec sheet to gather all the necessary information to manufacture a custom heat transfer roll for your specific application and work closely with your engineering staff throughout the manufacturing process.
- A wide range of roll sizes, up to 48” diameter and 200" in overall length
- Monoflow or dual-flow configurations
- Precision finishing, including mirror, flawless optical, satin, and matte finish
At Roll Technology, we are committed to supplying you with the highest quality heat transfer roll, manufactured and finished to meet the most demanding and stringent requirements. Companies worldwide depend on Roll Technology’s expertise and high-quality products for their web operations.